Popular Posts

Thursday 1 September 2011

Guatemala, Please Help the People..

It was a reminder, something I felt.  I was laying in my warm comfy bed and the rain was tapping its dance on the tin roof above. There was something in the shadows, a stir from my memories.


Pasaje Enriquez is a long high arcade passage with wrought iron facades at either end. It is situated on the west side of Parque Centroamerica in Xela Guatemala. Originally designed and constructed in 1898 for high end shops it's high partly glassed covered roof, with restaurants and bars is the hang out for university and the tourists crowds.

Now it was raining memories.

Puddles in the mall had grown to impassible lakes of wetness. Dripping rain everywhere as it collected below, from far above where the towering glass met the rusting metal roof above. The party crowd were there, it was loud and happy.

At one end in the shadows I felt a stir. People, children, a family huddled in some shadows. Huddled for dryness, for quiet, for safety in the dark marauding night with its ever wetness. Huddled on the cold dark concrete.

Building homes for people, is a purpose I cannot put down. While there are many organizations doing this, helping, there is that catch that money is possible to help them, if they have land.

What then happens to the people with no land?

What happens to the family huddled in the doorways and the shadows .

Who will help them?

I want to.

I want to build these people homes.

Give them new hope, away from the shadows and the fears of survival.

Help me to Help the People.

No comments: