Popular Posts

Monday 26 September 2011

FRIENDSHIPS

Friendships.

Last year I went tio Guatemala to learn a language and instead learned about myself. The experience changed me and for the better.

I met many people on my travels. There is though one singular subject that I found to be confusing. This came from travellers that I met that where seeking "expats." Expats to me are people that are living in a country and from somewhere else. Expats speak English mostly.  Expats for me would be either Canadian or people from the states.

When I look back at that time wonderful  in Guatemala and ask myself who are my friends there, the word "Expats" doesn't enter the equation. All my friends in Guatemala are Guatemalan.

Why would I purposely seek out groups of people and friendships that are Canadian or from the states? The pleasure and the joy of experiencing Guatemala is advancing my knowledge and my understanding of the Guatemalan culture and the people. Associating myself only and primarily with people from Canada or the USA, cancels out that experience.  

Mi amigos son gente Guatemala

No comments: