Popular Posts

Wednesday 13 April 2016

How to make An Assassin... (The Book)

The Analyst

Making of
The Assassin

How I conceived this story.
This story is very different than any other story I have ever written. It shares only one factor and that it is a fictional piece. I like to write action, adventure stories with a human element within them. So sometimes they could be classified as love stories. In other words I like to write about people that have love in their heart.

Most of my stories are period pieces that are written in another time than the one I live in. I tried Science fiction and while I love watching good sci-fi, writing it does not fit in with the way I imagine things to be, so you will not see any light sabers, or ray guns pointed your way, nor will we be beaming to some distant planet.

Ideas come from somewhere. Sometimes they are based on factual events, or some, well I just dream them up. In fact dreams do enter into my imaginative equation as I have dream scenarios that I then developed into stories.

The Analyst, well I have been kicking this idea around for many years.

It originally came about when the IRA started bombing London, England in the early 1970’s. Since this was pre-Internet, one would read about these horrific events in the newspapers or on television newscasts that innocent people where being killed by those with a cause. To the IRA they were heroes and to the British they were terrorists. It all is a matter of prospective. Today we have ISIS doing the same thing in London, in Paris, and in Brussels, yes anywhere they deem fit to cause pain, death and destruction. The action is the same, death and destruction.

That is when the What Ifs started.

What if there was an independent organization that would target terrorist leaders and those that carry out terrorist acts and just make them disappear. The purpose with that idea back then, was that such a counter-terrorist organization would spread fear with the groups committing terrorist acts.

So I had the seed and from that idea a story germinated.

The Analyst that I needed to write. So I did some research, no let’s change that, 
I did a lot research, almost 18 months’ worth of research. 

I had to personally learn about things that don't fit into my way of life at all. Things like guns. The weaponry that he was exposed to while in the military and then later on in life (all different and sometimes in subtle ways). Then things like explosives. Things like combat fighting and how to kill people, how he would do that. The way he preferred to carry out his missions.

His wife Penny is a totally different character and much needed to balance Jack's complex thinking. 

Two daughters. Anne the perfect mom and just like her mother Penny, then Liz who was more like her dad than perhaps he wanted her to be. Then there is Anne's husband William, a police detective and with his curious mind, seeing that something in the way Jack presented himself did not quite add up.

Then I had to work within a time line. The story starts in 1944, just near the end of the 2nd world war. My hero was not even born then, but the influences that would make him who he is now, needed to be explained. 
So that is where it all begins, moving through his life, his growing up, his involvement in the Royal Marines, then the meeting with a woman that would become his wife, his family and so on. 

As he is a complex character, I needed to have some conflict in his life. After-all he is actually like two men inside the persona of one man. He somehow keeps it all separate, all so secret. So I decided to introduce some tragedy into his scenario to see how he would handle change, loss and how he would he able to adapt to that.

I decided to make his background, his family life a little different. His father was German and his mother is English and they met during the second world war in what I felt was a very different way. All to be explained later.

It has all been written with an open end, yes room enough for a sequel (at least one).


The Analyst
A man with a secret: Leading a double life.


Coming soon to an eBook…










No comments: