Popular Posts

Monday 17 September 2012

Guatemala, Moments to Treasure

It was Independence Day in Guatemala. It was a day of celebration, parades, loud music, fiestas, fireworks.... and massive crowds. The population here in Xela had doubled for the event. There where  even people from Guatemala City here. It seems that Quetzaltenango or Xela (shay-la) does that, attracts people from everywhere like a magnet. The tourist, expats and travellers where there and we usually stand out. But with the huge influx of Guatemalans here our presence just disappeared.
 

I was on the street sharing conversations with a local business person I am friendly with, as two young girls approached us. One girl was maybe five and the older one maybe seven. I had seen them before and they always walked about with a clear bag of coloured candy suckers to sell. 

They where scruffy looking and wore ill fitting clothes. They maybe needed a wash. But I noticed that they where not pushy and shared honest open smiles with people. All they did was just walk about asking people to buy what they offer. A simple candy sucker.

I remember motioning to the older girl that I was interested. She approached and I took a shiny Quetzal and placed it into her hand. Then she stretched out her hand to me, offering me that bag and my choice of colour.

"Ummm" my voice sounded, as I searched for something perfect. Her eyes watched me play with all the coloured suckers in the bag. Finally after awhile I pulled out a red one saying "roja, perfecto." 


I held that red sucker in front of me and in direct contact with her eyes and then smiling I suddenly dropped the sucker back into her bag. The look in her eyes was priceless. Her eyes expressed surprise, astonishment and wonder. Then her dirty little face lit up and she beamed back a smile to me that broke my heart. 

Later as she walked away she glanced back over her shoulder at me, holding that Quetzal in her hand. It was hers. 

All the money collected from children all goes to help support their families. This coin was hers.

Moments to treasure. She made my day special.


No comments: