Popular Posts

Saturday 14 April 2012

RETIRE in Guatemala, Never so Affordable and...

Retirement in Guatemala was never so affordable.

It is a renters and yes most certainly a buyers market. 
Not to mention yes that the food is so fresh and good and plentiful and so very inexpensive. 

Living in Guatemala means a diet that rarely is composed of any packaged or pre-prepared foods. No more boxed food.

Transportation options are there for you to take advantage of and so easy to acquire and yes varied. 

Travel between major destinations can be had for very little. You can take tourist shuttle buses, collectivos or even rent your own private shuttle bus. First class buses (like those used in Europe) are a pure luxury way for you to travel  Pullmans are buses that are still very comfortable and were probably old greyhound buses at one time. Pullman buses travel from one city destination to another city and do not pick anyone up along the route. They do have washrooms, but these are usually locked up.

Chicken buses are the least expensive and usually cost about a third of the price of a pullman bus. Chicken buses are old school buses from the USA that are painted in garish colours and have lots of chrome. 

I would recommend everyone should take at least one (short destination) trip on a Chicken bus. You will be crammed in with three people on a seat that is designed to carry children, but most Guatemalan people are small so they fit in quite well. Sometimes there will be three people on each seat and on the isle one person will straddle across the aisle.

There will be loud music blared from speakers in the bus 
some latin tune and the driver will think he is some gran prix racer as the bus careens along mountain roads. It is that one experience you should have.   

The people here are the friendliest in Latin America. 

Crime of course it happens but no matter what people may say, well crime here is very low. I have never ever once felt threatened.

I came here in 2010 to learn a language. 
Instead I found my heart. My plan was to study some Spanish for a month and then I would travel down to Nicaragua to work volunteering with children. It was all set up and in place. 

Well, I never left Guatemala for Nicaragua. I am still here in Xela. My heart will always be here, no matter where other journeys take me. 

Aside from living in an incredible friendly place, living costs are unbelievable cheap. Renting an apartment close to the centre of the city, or a small house is easy and is so incredible affordable. You can rent a small house in Xela for as little as $2400 a year. 

Yes thats a year! 

Try and do that anywhere else. Electricity is very inexpensive and should run for about $10 to $15 a month. 

People often ask me what I do each day in Guatemala? 
Well that is easy to answer. I help people. 
Finding my heart, I found that I really like to help people.

ayudar a las personas

I do this help in a variety of ways. I do not belong to a registered volunteer group, preferring to help and to assist in other ways. I have no allusions that in a few shorts weeks I will change a people.... but....

"I do it my way."

I have helped support a family here (a long term) and I am telling you this not to pat myself on the back, but just to explain how satisfying that can be. A simple gift of understanding and love and giving.

I have also help a local theatre group in planning and promotion.

I find people that need help or connections or assistance and I find ways to help them or connect them to other people that can help them better.

I write this blog to try and get people like you interested in being here and thus supporting the local communities.
I just started writing another blog... which you can check out if you want. It features the most interesting thing to experience while in Xela, Guatemala....

I assist local people that want a to have a new life in Canada... I do this with information.

I am also in the planning stages to build a village. It is a village for people that have no land or hope.While there are many groups that will assist someone to build a house, they will only do so if a person has land. Some of these organizations appear to help the helpless, but their true intentions hide behind the guise of charity when looking closer you will discover a business instead. A well known group comes to mind. If your thinking what I think you are thinking, you are very right. 


I am helping with promotion and awareness for the only Montessori school in Xela, the second in Guatemala.

Below is a little about that school...

Mi Casita Montessori 

Two years ago in Guatemala I met a pretty young woman. I spoke little Spanish and she spoke no English. I was in Guatemala on a temporary basis and any thoughts of moving that meeting into any form of any type of friendship were far from my mind. 

Shirley worked in a small cafe called El Cuartito Cafe in Xela, Guatemala. elcuartitocafe.blogspot.com  
Shirley often served me food and beverages. I never forgot her sparkling smile and her beautiful eyes. 

Surprisingly, I later met Shirley online by accident and since then I have become friends with her. On my first trip to Guatemala that language barrier prevented me from finding out who the real Shirley was, beyond the smiles.

I learned later that Shirley had trained in university in Guatemala and was a psychologist. She also taught the Spanish language. Shirley was far more than the woman I knew in that little cafe in Xela, Guatemala.

Shirley has also recently started up the first Montessori school in Xela. It is called Mi Casita Montessori and is the second such official Montessori school in all of Guatemala.  

Montessori is a different way of learning through practical experience. Each child learning through their own developmental needs. The teacher learning through the child. 

Through the good work and efforts of others that believed in Shirley and her dream, money was donated and generated for this project. Her training, the supplies needed for the school as well as the construction material to build the school where all through the efforts of volunteers. Shirley is now a fully qualified Montessori teacher operating an authentic Montessori experience.

Help is still needed.
Help for Mi Casita Montessori is ongoing.
Shirley wanted give back and to help her people, especially the children. 

Take a look at her website and learn more about this incredible young woman. 

A woman with a dream to help others.
Shirley is very special. 
Someone I consider a very special person and friend.

http://www.micasitamontessori.wordpress.com/author/micasitamontessori/ 

SO ...

So if you are thinking of retiring? Why not look at Guatemala as an option. I am certainly glad I did.

When you get here, if you want, allow me to show you around... If you're open to helping others, help me build a village and give hope and a new life to people who have no hope, who have nothing.

Help me to help the people

Open your heart
it is such a wonderful experience. 


&

If you....


Need a place to live? I can show you where are the best places are. Whether you are going rent or purchase or construct a home. 

You need to know people you can trust. I know the people.

Need a guide? I can get you a reliable person or company.

Need to know where to stay when travelling? Ask me.

Buying food or exploring a market place, getting a sumptuous meal in a great restaurant, travel tips, just ask.

Helping people is what I do... why not join me. 

 ****************

Where I live when I am in Guatemala, a city called Quetzaltenango or Xela (shay-la)... In Xela you will experience cool nights and warm days, no humidity and no BUGS!!!! It is an awesome place to be. I couldn't think of living anywhere else....

So see you soon 






No comments: