Popular Posts

Friday 23 December 2011

Guatemala's Beggars in the streets

It was just before Christmas in 2011 and I can and I wonder as I pass the beggars in the streets who will help them on Christmas day?  I pass and drop change or a bill into their hand or bowl. I give only to women that crouch with small children now. The men will drink it.

In Xela there is a beautiful (gold adorned) Iglasia. The gold originally came from Guatemala, looted years ago by the Spanish shipped off to Spain and then returned through the generosity of the Roman Catholic church to Igalsias here.

The beggars sit near the Iglasia (church) entrance.

They are invisible to most people.

They are invisible to the church that teaches the Christian story of love and giving... 

Christmas. 

A time of giving and caring for your fellow man or woman.

A time for families to join together in celebration of what they believe in.

 "Beggars why are they left this way?"











No comments: